Friday, February 5, 2010

Spicy Caponata Caviar

I wanted to post this recipe before I lost it. We served it at a dinner party and it was a big hit. Definitely a bit on the spicy side but something different rather than the same old same old bruschetta and spinach dip routine. Serve with a really buttery cracker, toasted baguette rounds or melba toasts. I used my Cuisinart mini chop to make sure the pieces of veggies were uniform.

If I had to describe the taste, it would be similar to a jarred antipasto but completely vegetarian.

Spicy Caponata Caviar
Everyday with Rachael Ray Magazine

1 large eggplant
2 T. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 pinches crushed red pepper - I omitted this
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cubanelle pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped - I used a couple jarred pepperoncini
1 roasted red pepper, finely chopped
6 black olives, finely chopped - I used 12
6 green olives, finely chopped - I used 12
1 T. capers, drained - I used 2 T.
flat leafed parsley, finely chopped - I omitted this b/c Josh hates parsley

1. Preheat the oven to 450. Prick the eggplant with a fork and roast until soft, about 25 min.

2. While the eggplant is working, in a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, crushed red pepper, celery, onion, and Cubanelle pepper. Cook for 7 min. Stir in the roasted red peppers, olives, capers, and parsley. Transfer to a large bowl.

3. Carefully peel the roasted eggplant. In a food processor, puree the eggplant into a smooth paste; season with salt and pepper. Stir into the veggies.


No comments: