Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Beef Stew with Dumplings

I made this stew yesterday for dinner at my parents because my dad was craving real beef stew with all the yummy veggies.
Well I did bring real stew but I got the recipe from 'Eat, Shrink & Be Merry' so it definitely was trying to up the fibre content and lower the fat. I will admit that I changed the recipe a fair bit, mainly so that it went into the crockpot because I did not have time to sit and stir stew all afternoon.
In the end, the result was incredibly delicious and the boys had double helpings. I don't have a single scoop of leftovers - which is both good and bad.
Make this stew in a crockpot if you can, or else brown the meat first in a little olive oil before cooking the whole thing in a big pot.
Enjoy!

Beef Stew with Dumplings
Adapted from 'Eat, Shrink & Be Merry'

2lbs. stewing beef - I used skirt steak cut against the grain into 1" cubes
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
3 parsnips, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
6 small yellow potatoes, chopped
2t. chopped garlic or 2 cloves
2T. tomato paste
2T. balsamic vinegar
1/2t. marjoram
1/2t. basil
1/2t. thyme
1/2t. rosemary
4c. beef stock - 1/4c. reserved for the end
1T. cornstarch
1 1/2c. Bisquick
1/3c. milk
1/2t. rosemary

Combine everything but the last 4 ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for 8hrs, high for 4 hrs. Combine the remaining 1/4c. broth and cornstarch and stir into the pot.
In a small bowl, combine the Bisquick, milk and rosemary. Using a large spoon, scoop the mix into small portions and place on top of the stew - it should make 10 dumplings. Place the lid securely on the pot and turn on high for 20 minutes. The dumplings will steam through and double in size.
Serve and enjoy

1 comment:

Kim Harris said...

Part of their duties is to give assistance to the dentist, hygienist or therapist during a procedure or treatment. Nursing Programs Online! Deal Locally- It is easier if you have local connections.