Saturday, March 27, 2010

Lemon Poppyseed Bread

Ok so this is not a whole wheat recipe and I didn't try to make it one. It sounded too delicious on its own and there was oat bran in the recipe so it is a little bit healthy. This gem is out of Eat, Shrink and Be Merry because this book just can't steer me wrong. I love everything I have tried!

As with the banana bread, carefully folding in the dry ingredients and not overmixing is the key. The bread was moist and lemony and didn't need a glaze at all which surprised me because I find most lemon breads do. It made a sticky glazed top all on its own. I almost sliced the top off the loaf and just ate that.

Enjoy!

Poppy Love
Eat Shrink and Be Merry

1 1/4c. flour
3/4c. sugar
1/2c. oat bran
1T. poppy seeds - I added 2T.
2t. baking powder
1/2t. salt
1c. milk
1/4c. melted butter or oil - I used oil
1 egg
2T. fresh lemon juice
2t. grated lemon zest - it was the zest of one lemon


Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8x4" loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, oat bran, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter, egg, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spread batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes (mine took the full 45) or until loaf is light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean.

No comments: