Monday, February 5, 2007

Banff



I know I promised to make granola, cookies and a cake this weekend but only the granola ended up happening. Not because I am lazy in any way. The grocery shopping was done, the kitchen clean and I was just about to start when Josh surprised me with the news that we were headed to Banff for the weekend.
What a great time we had! I have never stayed in a hotel like the Rimrock before so I felt very rich and pampered. We ate amazing food, sat in a beautiful lounge to watch the Flames game and then came home rested and refreshed for the work week.

I did attempt the granola later on Sunday evening and I would like to show you the finished product but I burnt it. Yes, my gorgeous honey and cinnamon granola shrivelled up and smoked after only 20 minutes. I am still getting used to a brand new stove and I never know what temperature to make my usually tried and true recipes. I really did try to salvage it but the cranberries were black and the whole thing made our yogurt taste burnt as well so I wasted yogurt, I wasted granola, got very angry and gave up on the whole thing. Tonight I am going to try again, underbaking this time, because I really don't think I like crunchy granola. As for the recipe, I use whatever nuts and dried fruit I have on hand. Just make sure the total amount of ingredients is the same or you will end up with an oily sticky mess.
Ciao!
Granola
Letters, Gourmet, November 2006. Adapted from Calle Ocho, New York city
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (I use a thick cut oat like Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
½ cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup sliced almonds (1 oz)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup green (hulled) pumpkin seeds (I used sunflower seeds)
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup mild honey
Pinch cinnamonPinch salt
1 cup tart dried cherries
½ cup dried blueberries
½ cup dried pears (¼ inch dice)
½ cup diced dried apricots (¼ inch dice)
1/3 cup golden raisins
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Stir together all ingredients in a large bowl until combined. Spread mixture evenly on a large (17-by 12-inch) shallow baking pan and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 15 minutes.

No comments: